Young Adult Fiction

MLS Graduate Student's Reading Blog

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Databases: Successive Fraction Search in WorldCat

Competency #6
ISAR 5013.20

Successive Fraction Search WorldCat

Search Focus: Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series

Starting with the word "undead", a broad concept I conduct my first search.

A total of 1,984 results are returned.

Now with this broad search the total number of hits is split into nine categories: books, visual, sound, internet, computer, serials, scores, articles and archival. I am looking for a book. I am going to click on the "add more terms to your search?" and enter qualifiers to lead me to a smaller set of results.

The search is reduced to a total of 14 records ranked by "number of Libraries" I need to make sure that this title is available at TWU. I will add in the qualifier field that allows search within "my library" by entering Texas Woman's University's code. I am directed to OCLC to retrieve the code and find out that TWU's library has the title I am looking for.

0 comments:

Post a Comment